Saturday, July 16, 2011

Annotated Bibliography


Calloway, Catherine. ""How to tell a true war story": Metafiction in The Things They Carried." Critique 36.4 (1995): 249-258. ProQuest Research Library. Web. 15 Jul 2011.
            This article written by Catherine Calloway is an analysis of The Tim O’Brien book “The Things They Carried” written in a very similar way as I will be writing my analysis. Here the author uses what we know about the real Tim O’Brien to answer questions as to why he would choose to write the book in the style he chooses. In This article will aid me greatly in my analysis I plan to make regarding O’Brien’s stance on writing in a first person point of view through a fictional version of himself.

"Draft." Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War: A Political, Social, and Military History. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 1998. Credo Reference. Web. 15 July 2011.
            In this article the facts surrounding the draft of Americas young men through history. In the Vietnam era nearly 10% of American men age 19-20 were sent straight to Vietnam. This article explains a lot about what these young men had to overcome when faced with a draft notice. This article will provide the information about the draft that I will use to conduct a comparison between what is felt in the story “On the Rainy River” to what was felt by the millions of other young men being drafted at that time.

"Tim O'Brien (1946 - )." The Columbia Companion to the Twentieth-Century American Short Story. New York: Columbia University Press, 2000. Credo Reference. Web. 15 July 2011.
            In this Biography of Tim O’Brien lies a large amount of information about O’Brien’s life that explains why he chose to write in this fashion. Analysis of O’Brien’s other writings gives further incite on O’Brien’s other writings. Using O’Brien’s other writings as evidence we can answer some of the questions that will be posed in my essay about the state of mind of the fictional and the real Tim O’Brien and the similarities between them despite the book being categorized as a fictional story.

4 comments:

  1. I have found that O'Brien was much easier to write on, whether it was a biography of him or an analysis of his work. Great resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your topic sounds sounds very intriguing to me. I am such a curious person. To find out why Tim O'Brien wrote in the style he did would tell a lot about who he is. I'm sure there will be some great analyzing in your paper with this resource.
    The history of the draft in your second source will give weight to the way O'Brien wrote his book and the emotional responses he evokes from the reader.
    your last source goes hand in hand with your first source and O'Brien's book we read. I love to know what makes people tick, so I'm sure I would like your essay! This topic sounds like a lot to tackle, but you sound armed and ready. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have written my essay about the expectation of men in society and how they have to be “manly” even when faced with going to war. I found your second source to be very interesting and maybe useful to my final draft of my essay. I’m interested in reading this source to gain an understanding of the emotions of the young men being drafted.

    ReplyDelete