Saturday, July 23, 2011

Reflection on English 102


Throughout the 8 weeks in this course I have learned many things about the writing process, and about some of the literature written in some historically important times. In this class I have learned the differences between summary and analysis. Before this course I as a lot of students used summary as the main filler for my essays. Because English 101 and in high school English the idea was to write a properly formatted essay with correct grammar and conventions not necessarily the writing itself it was easy to just retell the story. Now in English 102 that we are actually being graded on our writing we had to learn how to properly analyze a literary work. All of the writing assignments for this course have helped me learn how to more effectively write an analysis however the assignment that I felt was the most educationally valuable to me was essay 3. In essay 3 not only was it a literary analysis it was also a reading on a historically import event in the case of “The Things they Carried” it was the war in Vietnam and the draft or “Sandstorm”, the war In Iraq. Either was it was very interesting to read about and made a great platform for Analysis.
The readings for this class were very entertaining and I feel that by reading them I really learned a lot. My favorite was Tim O’Brien’s “The Things They Carried” this collection of short stories written by a Vietnam veteran and a draftee was in my opinion a great book and an informative story of the true feelings of Vietnam drafted soldiers. Reading this really gives you a great respect and a new outlook on what the young men went through during this time in our nation’s history.
All Together this class was a great learning experience for me. I learned how to write a proper analysis and a lot of other things that will help me write professional papers including proper research and how to properly cite sources for a professional paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment